These are from the book Junniy Leebuy Wolof by Mànsóor Xumma.
- Aat yaa ngi woy géwél yi.
- Ab jatang, loo bàcc bàcc mu xasawum saw.
- Ab loot, tàbbi na ba tàyyi bàyyi fa rew bu nyor.
- Ab sàmm a waral béy deewul.
- Ab ndóol, ku mu yàqal nyakk nga.
- Ag bóli, mbedd la; waaye kenn du ca wetal i béy.
- Alal du faj dee, gàcce lay faj.
- Alali golo, ca lex ba.
- Alali jàmbur, ba fa la sant.
- Alali jàmbur, ku ca banya kasara, leneen nga ca begg.
P.S. – I don’t have the answers for these…You’ll have to figure them out for yourself!
Where did you get the book Junniy Leebuy Wolof by Mànsóor Xumma? I would love to see a copy. You also might be interested in browsing my site at
The site can be found at a number of places across the internet but I have lost access to these so I have created a new domain so I can update the site.
PS I speak Wolof fluently having lived in a Wolof village for 16 years. I have written a book of 750 Wolof proverbs explained in English which I could send to you if you can help me obtain a copy of the book by Xumma.
I think this comment will give you my email address for direct contact.
I don’t recall where I picked it up. I will look into it and see if I can find a seller for you.
I will contact you directly when I have more information…
Thanks a lot
English to Wolof/French Dictionary now available for download: